Hollywood star says he prays and tries to go to church every day
Mark Wahlberg credits parish priest with turning his life around
Hollywood star says he prays and tries to go to church every day.
Mark Wahlberg has said he never would have been able to get his life back on track if it weren’t for his parish priest.
In an interview with Square Mile, Wahlberg said he was saved from a life of drugs and violence as a teenager when his priest, Fr James Flavin, took him under his wing.
Mark Wahlberg arrives at the Los Angeles premiere of Entourage (Photo: PA)
“I pray every day and try to go to church every day. My faith in God is what makes me a better man,” he said. “It’s the most important part of my life.”
Wahlberg was one of nine children born to a Catholic family in Dorchester, Massachusetts. He says family – he now has four children of his own – is also an important part of his life.
“I just try to be around for them as much as I can and be the kind of father who they know will always care and love them with all my heart and soul,” he said. “I pray that I will live up to my intention to be the best husband and father than I can be.”
Wahlberg, star of The Departed, The Other Guys and Boogie Nights and an executive producer of Entourage, said his career would not have got off the ground if he had not rediscovered his faith.
“I never would have been able to change my life and have the success and love that I have in my world today without my faith,” he said.
- What the Church has given the world
- Middle Eastern intolerance means Filipinos have to be careful about their faith
- Leading philosopher leads regional religious conference
- Miss Universe donates gifts for poor to Caritas Manila
- Thousands of young people kneel in adoration at Wembley Arena
- Pope Francis meets Asian youth delegates in birthplace of Korean Catholicism
- Traditional values are secret of our success, say Scouts as membership soars
- Bishops plan to use London Olympics to renew interest in Catholic faith
- Child protection website launched by Vatican commission
- Benedict XVI@Pontifex